Pages

May 7, 2009

Outpourings from the Belief-O-Matic

My friend Steve Curless, the Sacramento Spirituality Examiner, recommended a blogpost to me by Roger Ebert about death, called "Go Gentle into that Good Night." In it, past the gentle musings, Van Gogh paintings and e. e. cummings viddies, was a note by Ebert telling us he took a religion test. I've taken it, too.

The test is the Belief-O-Matic over at beliefnet.

My Results

The top score on the list below represents the faith that Belief-O-Matic, in its less than infinite wisdom, thinks most closely matches my beliefs. However, I'm told, even a score of 100% does not mean that my views are all shared by this faith, or vice versa.

Belief-O-Matic then lists another 26 faiths in order of how much they have in common with my professed beliefs. The higher a faith appears on this list, the more closely it aligns with my thinking.

My top-scoring religions out of the 27 listed [with links to wikipedia]:

1. Mahayana Buddhism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (93%)
3. Liberal Quakers (87%)
4. Taoism (87%)
5. Theravada Buddhism (86%)

I'm pleasantly surprised to find myself in perfect-seeming sync with Mahayana Buddhism. While I, certainly, consider myself to be a Mahayana Buddhist, I have some beliefs outside its mainstream, I thought.

5 comments:

Kyle said...

Heheh, Funny, my mom still considers me 100% Catholic. I just don't have the heart to tell her.

Anonymous said...

that thing pushes universal unitarianism on everyone...

... a kinda "yes you do have a Diet-Christian option!"

Neopagan was mine. Bang on too - just below universal unitarianism!!!

Tallis Grayson said...

That was a lot of fun.

I am, according to Belief-O-Matic:

Neo-pagan, Universal Unitarianist and Mahayana Buddhist.

Neo-Pagan!! I don't think so! I'm going to try again.

Anyway Tom, thanks for passing the religion test along.

Buddhist_philosopher said...

My thanks too, Tom. I'm 100% Theravada, then Mahayana, then other stuff. My surprise was in being more Mormon than Catholic... Such is life.

Unknown said...

Thanks, guys.

Kyle, I guess the worst that can happen is that you'll have to do a few years in the penance-tentury [purgatory] until you'll get the Body of Light to praise God for all eternity. The best that might happen is that you'll be a powerful bodhisattva [not that you're not probably one now] who will get mom, or one of her next few incarnations, into nirvana, where each of us has a mansion and the streets are paved with lotuses.

Jon, Yep. I think it is actually the case that everyone's line-up of results from the test has UU in second place, at least. And this includes some of my weird-thinking friends.

Tallis: Yeah, give the test another shot. I think the test has quite a bit of validity, based on my results which I'm gleeful about.

Bud Phil: Maybe you're more mormon than catholic because, like the morms, you're outdoorsy [Utah!] and not cramped like the caths [R.I., MASSachusetts], you think? But I'm disappointed your Maha didn't beat your Thera.